Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Mummy is a 2002 American animated horror musical comedy-themed direct-to-video film produced by Bagdasarian Productions and Universal Cartoon Studios and based on characters from Alvin and the Chipmunks. It is the third direct-to-video sequel after Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman as the idea of the Chipmunks encountering Dracula was scrapped after Ross Bagdasarian Jr. stated that he wanted the next monster the Chipmunks met to be something the audience would not expect.
Universal Studios Home Video released it on VHS with Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein and Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman as part of its "Chipmunks' Trilogy of Terror" promotion on October 30, 2004. Then on March 14, 2006, a three-disc DVD set featuring the film's two predecessors was released.
Alvin and the Chipmunks are on summer break and have been spending more time with the Chipettes. When Dave asks the boys if they want to visit the Natural History Museum, he mentions that a new exhibit from Egypt has recently been added. The Chipmunks are intrigued, including Alvin, who is interested in mummies and the pharaohs of ancient Egypt. At the Chipmunks' request, Dave informs Miss Miller about the exhibit and the Chipettes agree to go to the museum with their best friends.
At the museum, the Chipmunks are introduced to Dr. Thomas Brickston and Egyptian professor Dr. Mustafa Rahim. The centerpiece of the Egyptian exhibit is the mummy of Horushotep III, the most beloved pharaoh of the 14th Dynasty of Egypt. Dr. Rahim them informs the Chipmunks that when the crew excavated Horushotep's tomb, they found that the tomb had a curse on it that said if his peace were ever disturbed, the mummy would come to life and wreak a dreadful vengeance upon those responsible. Alvin is enthralled, but the others disregard the story as nothing more than a foreign legend. The conversation is interrupted by museum guard Sam Dent, whose funding was cut after he urged to be allowed to go on expeditions for personal reasons.
When the museum closes, Sam decides to get back at Dr. Brickston even if it means harming him and opens the mummy's coffin intending to steal it, but he is startled when the mummy of Horushotep III comes to life and confronts him. Sam convinces the mummy that Dr. Brickston and many others have desecrated his tomb and then offers his services. The next day, the Chipmunks find out on the news that Dr. Brickston has mysteriously been turned to stone. Alvin assumes that the mummy is behind it despite Simon's insistence that it is scientifically impossible. That afternoon, the Chipmunks sneak into the museum and take a swab off Dr. Brickston's shoulder. In Simon's lab, they find that the professor had dead skin cells on his shoulder and after careful examination, find that the mummy was indeed responsible.
Over the next few days, more people are found turned to stone and on Saturday, the Chipmunks agree to find a way to stop the mummy. They convince Dave to take them to see Dr. Rahim and learn that to complete the curse, Horushotep must obtain the Tablet of Anubis, which will allow him to unleash many terrible plagues upon the city. That night, the Chipmunks and the Chipettes journey to Dr. Rahim's apartment to see if everything is all right. Suddenly, the mummy breaks into the apartment to steal the Tablet of Anubis. The Chipmunks put up a fight and manage to escape with the tablet while Dr. Rahim is turned to stone trying to fight the mummy, who then decides to make the Chipmunks his servants.
On Sunday morning, Dave is upset with the Chipmunks for sneaking out and at first does not believe their story, but when they show Dave the mummy's skin cells, Dave reasons that they may be right. The next day, the Chipettes come over for a sleepover, but Sam Dent breaks into the house that night and lures Dave outside to distract him. The mummy enters the house while Dave is distracted and kidnaps Brittany and steals the Tablet of Anubis from under Alvin's bed. Alvin urges the others that they must save Brittany and Dave and Miss Miller help them get to the museum as fast they can.
At the museum, the Chipmunks learn that Horushotep plans to turn Brittany into a mummy like him so she will become his slave. Once she is a mummy, Brittany will be doomed to torment the world of the living. Before he can begin the ritual, Alvin hits him with a baseball bat and then frees Brittany. Enraged, the mummy fights the Chipmunks until Alvin decides to see if the pharaoh wasn't planning to complete his curse. With Simon and Theodore's help, he lures the mummy into the theatre and shows him the security footage of Sam Dent clearly saying that he will use the mummy to get rid of Dr. Brickston and those who he claims have slighted him. Realizing that he has been deceived, Horushotep turns on a pleading Sam Dent and turns him to stone.
With his anger gone, the mummy thanks Alvin and his brothers and the Chipettes for revealing the truth and breaks the curse using the Tablet of Anubis. His petrified victims are returned to normal and Horushotep departs the mortal world in peace. Sam Dent is arrested for his crimes and the next day, a party is held at the museum to thank the Chipmunks for stopping the mummy's curse. During the dance, Alvin and Brittany confess their love for each other and the Chipmunks dance with the Chipettes as the movie ends.
- Ross Bagdasarian Jr. - Alvin Seville, Simon Seville, Dave Seville
- Janice Karman - Theodore Seville, Brittany Miller, Jeanette Miller, Eleanor Miller
- Dody Goodman - Miss Miller
- Tom McGrath - The Mummy (aka Horushotep III)
- Dom DeLuise- Dr. Thomas Brickston
- Oded Fahr- Dr. Mustafa Rahim
- Rino Romano- Sam Dent
- "Petrified"- The Chipmunks
- "Walk Like an Egyptian"- The Chipmunks and the Chipettes
- "I'll Be There For You"- The Chipmunks and the Chipettes
- This is the second time Alvin is seen kissing Brittany. The first was in the episode "The Legend of Sleeping Brittany" from the Chipmunks' seventh season of their show from the 1980s.
- Brittany wears her usual 80's outfit in contrast to the outfit she wore in Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman. She is also seen in her midriff-baring pajamas when the mummy kidnaps her.
- The movie shares a similar plot to the 1999 film adaptation of The Mummy.
- Three gods of ancient Egypt are mentioned in the movie: Horus, Anubis, and Ra.
- Simon mentions that the mummy's true name, Horushotep, means "Horus is satisfied."
- Goof: In the third scene after Brittany is tied to the table for the mummification ritual, her belly button disappears.
- Goof: When the Chipmunks and the Chipettes enter the museum to rescue Brittany, the rubber bands supporting Eleanor's pigtails turn the same color as her hair.
- The Chipmunks all show affection for their counterparts during the dance: Alvin asks Brittany to be his girlfriend, to which she says yes, and they share their first kiss. Simon and Jeanette hug each other, and Theodore kisses Eleanor on the cheek and says, "I love you, Ellie," to which she replies, "I love you, Teddy."